Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Philmont Scout Ranch, New Mexico

"Wow," is all I can say.  My trip to Philmont was fascinating, and I'm sure I'll never forget it.  The scenery was fantastic - a nice change from Isle Royale surroundings.  The wildlife was amazing, too.  My first night I met a Diamond Back Rattlesnake, and I saw Black Bears during my last two days on the trail.

Philmont wasn't quite what I expected it to be, but it was good none the less.  The hiking was a bit of a joke sadly.  On four of the days, we averaged less than a mile per hour, which is definitely not a standard I'm used to, but the situation was not for me to handle.  I was looking forward to a good workout, especially after what everyone says about it being for the "best of the best backpackers."  I don't see how that can be true, though, when three of the nine youth in my crew had never gone backpacking before... whatever!

Unfortunately, I have broken a digital camera for the fourth time.  Before it shattered, however, I managed to take a fabulous panorama of Buck Creek, which a friend of mine will be assisting me sell to a local art gallery.  (The money will go to buying a new camera.)  I would post the picture, but I'm new to profession photography.  I don't want to break an ownership clause or something.  Anyway, my camera can still take pictures, and store them on the memory card.  Just the preview screen had busted on the inside, so you have to look through the little, manual window.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glad you had funn!
& its deff. good to have posts to read again
even though im leaving tmw.. haha