Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Snap

Life can change... fast.  I experienced that more than any other day of my life.

School was normal, but when I got in the car today, my mom and my brother were in obvious distress.  As soon as I got in I remember my mom saying, "Bad day..."

Queen Hazel Marie, sovereign over all the world had been hit by a car.  It was imconceivable to me.  I had lost pets before - cats all the time.  No other cat besides Hazel had lived two years.  That's how it is with barn cats who could die from a diseased mouse, coyote attack, or even kitten-birth.  I had no idea that it would even be possible for Hazel to be killed on the road, because she never hunted down by the road, which is a quarter mile away from the house.

My mom claimed to had seen her on the side and recognized the colors.  She couldn't go look, so she called dad who came down and put her into a box, which we would later take care of.

I was in denial.  There was no way she could be dead.  She had disappeared for days at a time when she was younger, only to return a week or so later.  That's how it was with barn cats.  But now she had settled down, and it was different.  She's five-years-old - ancient for our cats.

We drove home - all of us very upset.  The car ride was pretty silent.  We got home finally, and I was going to go outside to the barn, where I had figured they would've put the box.  On my way out my mom confirmed what I had guessed.  She and my brother followed far behind, because although we all had connections with her all these years, it was with me that she was most in touch with.  I swear sometimes I can understand her, and her understand me.

I got to the barn and found the box for what it obviously had to be.  It wasn't there the night before and it was cat-sized.  I almost didn't make it to the box.  I couldn't bear to see what was inside, but convinced myself to check, because I knew I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I didn't.

I looked inside, but to my bewilderment was surprised by all the black markings on the shoulder.  I figured it must be matted blood, and proceeded to stroke the spot just as I had so many times before for so many years.  To my further shock, it wasn't wet or matted as the fur should be at all!

Upon further frantic inspection I quickly realized it wasn't her at all!

The legs were too wide; the tail too long.  I quickly rushed outside the barn door and my mom and brother must've seen a maniacal look in my eyes as I shouted out, "IT'S NOT HER!  IT'S NOT HER!"

They assumed that I was just in denial over the loss of my closest pet.  I showed them what I'd found and they came to the same conclusion.  It wasn't her.

I ran outside once more and called for her into the woods, also ringing the bell on my deck that she always responds to.  Right on que, she bolted out from the path along the hill the barn's on.

The whole day's been a bit dreamlike.  I'd gone from being the saddest person on earth to elated in a manner of minutes.

Don't take what you love for granted, keep your friends close, and get an extra scoop of ice cream.  You may find that you that your life can change just like that... snap.

=)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love for your pets is amazing isn't it.  I was so sad when I began to read this, but then.... :)  Queen Hazel Marie is beautiful.  I really miss having a dog or a cat(or both) we rent and aren't allowed.  Give her an extra hug.
                            Smiles,  Leigh

Anonymous said...

Wow! it does sound like a dream! So glad Queen Hazel Marie is still alive!

Anonymous said...

holyy crapp way to make me almost cryy!
aww i love hazelll =] i'd cry if she died tooo.
give her some love from mee =]
i agree though on not taking stuff for granted..
crazyy too bcuz we had a speaker today on just that.

Anonymous said...

What's the chances of that "happening" and then have the speaker on the same day?  How weird...

We were talking about it later (Hazel's oblivious, but she likes all the extra attention!  =]) and we were wondering what would've happened had I not looked in the box and we just buried "her".  That night she'd probably jump on the windowsill like she always does when she wants in.  The Jesus-Cat has been resurrected! =)

Anonymous said...

omg i just decided to go through and see what songs you were listening to.. is this 'singapore' by chance the one from the pirates 3 soundtrackk? because the song is amazing :] haha its probably not but i had to askk!

Anonymous said...

Ya it is actually!  It's not my favorite from that CD, I like "Up is Down", but it's still good!  =)  Rrrrr...