Friday, August 22, 2008

First Full Week of School

Well the first full of week of school went flying by!  I think that had to have been one of the fastest weeks of school for me.  I'm pretty pleased with how my classes are going, except for Geometry and World History.  Considering the former, its difficult to learn the subject between the multiple favorite sayings such as (cue the sickly sweet voice) "my lil' Geomitrites and Algebrites," "Geometry is a visual subject, that's why we have colored pencils," and "Hey kiddos it's quizzy time!  Here's your quiz, enjoy!"  Yeah that last one was today actually.  And then there's World History, which I was very much looking forward to until recently.  As of today, here are a few "myths of Mr. Raber's class" I'd like to bust:

~ Gilgamesh can be considered religious, especially due to the fact that the main character himself is 2/3 god.  Not to mention that one of the biggest themes (if not the biggest theme) of the story is that immortality belongs to the gods, and is not meant to be tampered with by humans.  I would definitely say that has a religious message in it.  (Oh, and don't listen to Mr. Raber when he says it's boring; I love that story!)  =)

~ (This one belongs to Mr. Chymes (¿spelling?).)  The Egyptian god Osiris is not depicted green, because he is dead (ha, ha... how profound).  It's actually because before he is killed in the myth, he is the god of fertility and, in specific, vegetables!  By the way, the full version of the myth is not included in the textbook.  What appears there is disgustingly abridged (my guess as to why that is, would be because it contains one brief sex scene, but whatever, that's extremely important to the story and not at all explicit), and leaves out the entire ending.

~ DNA testing is not the main reason we know that Neanderthals and Homo sapiens did not reproduce.  Actually, most experts agree that it would have been impossible for two such dissimilar species to reproduce in the first place (Mr. Raber said otherwise).  In World History for Dummies, it calls the theory of the two early humans mating "unlikely."  I mean just think about it - after the glaciers melted, the two had total access to each other, and there's copious proof that they did interact.  I'm personally led to think that if they could've reproduced, they would have.

Oh my goodness, I just finishing watching "The Other Boleyn Girl."  That was one heck of a ride.  I think that Natalie Dormer ("The Tudors") is a better Ann than Natalie Porter ("The Other Boleyn Girl" and in the green below), however Scarlet Johansson who played Mary (in the red below) in "TOBG" was spectacular!  I thought the second half of the movie was way too fast paced, though.  The beginning was good, but the end just kept jumping in nine month intervals (obvious reasons).  I also happen to know that there's a "TOBG" book, and that it's even better than the movie.  Mary is the narrator in it.  Anyway, I'd definitely suggest this movie you haven't seen it already, but just be prepared for a little tragedy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow... lemme just say you're a lil obsessed w/ history haha
andd no one else would catch stuff in that class. ever.
haha that was actually one of my fave classes bc i loved mr raberrr.
tell him i say hi :]

Anonymous said...

Ha, ha... I am?  Wow, I never would've guess.  Ha, ha... I really can't help catching that stuff, though, it just jumps out at me.  And I'll make sure to tell him hi from you.  =)

By the way, I totally just finished watching TOBG again at Panda Guy's house.  Love it, love it, however Natalie Portman is a horrid Ann Boleyn.  Ha, ha... sorry, but Dormer is soooo much better, and has MUCH cooler hats.  =)

Anonymous said...

hmm i just watched the trailer for TOBG
it looks a lott better than it sounded!
like id never seen the trailer, just heard about it
but it looks pretty good!