Thursday, November 29, 2007

Lost and Found

Well my camera was found and returned to me!  I put new batteries in it, and it went screwy.  The lens kept going out and then back in, and the pictures had a heavy purple tinge to them.  However, the memory card was in perfect order.  I moved it over to my new camera and was able to download the pictures from the Fall Dance to my computer with a problem.  Those pictures are from over a month ago, so must of the "couples" are out of date.  I just uploaded a cool picture of Groblette, Mina, and Norbert's Mother instead.

I have a hilarious book called The Worst Case Scenario Almanac: History that I've had for a while, but haven't shared anything from it yet.  One section I found interesting was "HOW TO ESCAPE IF YOU ARE SEALED INSIDE A PYRAMID".

"1.  Find the King's sarcophagus.  The sarcophagus may be unadorned and simply appear to be a large stone box or coffin.  As you search, pick up useful items left behind by workers, such as additional torches, metal or stone objects that can be used as tools, and any such food or drink.”

“2.  Stand facing the sarcophagus.  The exit from the burial chamber will be on the north wall, which will be on your right.  The doorway will be blocked with a huge, unmovable slab of granite.”

“3.  Make a pick or ax.  Break some of the stone vases in the room and, using a sharp pointed section, fashion an ax by grinding it against the granite.”

“4.  Carve around the slab.  Do not attempt to carve the slab itself.  The passage surrounding the door slab is made of limestone, a rock much softer than granite.  Use the ax to carve an escape hole around the slab.  This is likely to take several days, so ration your food accordingly.”

“5.  Crawl through the hole to access the passageway behind the door.  Continue to follow the corridors as they slope up toward the north.  Determine the proper direction by using additional granite slabs blocking the way as your guide.  Carve around them as necessary.”

“6.  Feel the pyramid blocks as you make your way.  External blocks may be slightly warmer to the touch than those inside.”

“7.  Look for outside light.  As your approach the entrance to the pyramid, light may begin to penetrate into the darkness through cracks in the blocks.”

“8.  Carve around the final slab of rock.  The main entrance will be in the north face of the pyramid about 55 feet above the ground.  Carve around the final slab to reach the outside, taking care not to tumble down the sloped side of the pyramid.”

“9.  Slide or climb down the face of the pyramid.  Flatten your body against the outer wall of the pyramid and inch your way down to the ground.”

All that carving sounds a little tedious to me.  Sliding down a pyramid would be sweet though!  I think I’ll add that to my list next to “bungee jumping”.  =)

Oh, and I forgot my traditional poll for the National Geographic posts last entry.

No comments: