Monday, September 10, 2007

As a Side Note...

Today I was presented with a very interesting situation.  Someone read my blog and told me I couldn’t prove anything I’ve written about historical things.  And you know what?  They’re right.  I can’t prove any of it.  I’ve never gone on an archaeological dig, or discovered any lost cities, but am only sharing with you what I’ve read (which not to brag, but is a considerable amount).

 

So what, I can’t prove it, and I'll admit that.  I can show you my reference books, but beyond that I can't.  That’s not what it’s about though. It’s not deciding whether the Battle of Salamis was 480 BC or 481 BC, it’s about causing people to think about the decisions they’ve been presented differently and reflecting on their personal pasts.  It's about presently a different way of seeing things, and I won't promise it'll always be little bunnies hopping around in wonderland.

 

No, as much as I would like otherwise, it probably won’t matter whether Cortez landed with 100 or 600 men in anyone's future.  But it will matter in applying this to other, more important, things – making it useful in later situations, not just as some random fact to spew off.

 

So no, I can’t prove any of it.  But its about what you believe.  Maybe what I say may help bring about some thought, or just a way to pass the time when your bored.  I admit, it’s not always applicable to everyday life, but I do promise it will make you see things from a different perspective.

 

While I’m at it, I might as well also bring up that I would never say something unless I had plenty of good, reliable sources.  I would never lie to anyone about anything historical or otherwise on this site.

 

I thought this was important to say, not that all of my readers, or even most of my readers think this.  This was just one person in particular who said this to me, and I thought I'd bring it up.

 


Tags: ,

No comments: