Sunday, September 16, 2007

Gilgamesh

I just finished Gilgamesh!  It was awesome!  It had some great morals!  Like in the end Gilgamesh loses his chance at immortality, and is kind of resolved about it.  He's much more humbled and realizes that his entire life has been fortunate until he takes his friend Enkidu for granted and loses the one thing that truly made him happy - friendship.  It was really good, so even if your not into this kind of book, I'd really suggest it if you wanted a good, quick read.

Also I wanted to apologize again, because when I was trying to recall a summary of the book in an earlier post I accidentally said Enkidu died when he fell into the chasm, but he does survive that is later killed when the gods decide to strike him down after a series of sins by Gilgamesh.

The epic really made me think about how lucky I am to have such great friends with me.  And also that you have to be careful about forgetting to be grateful for, because sometimes you may losing your greatest treasure without even realizing it until it's gone!  Don't forget your friends!  =]

My next book is 1776 by David McCullough.  I was considering reading another epic, but I think I need to let this one settle in for awhile.

The picture below is of Gilgamesh and Enkidu slaying the Bull of Heaven, a massive beast that caused earthquakes from its snorts.  Together, they could defeat whatever demons were put in their path.

No comments: