Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Crusading: Letting Misguided Zeal Inspire Them

I have this lovely book called World History For Dummies, and I love it how he writes in the section "Crusading: Letting Misguided Zeal Inspire Them".  Plus it's pretty interesting (but sad) story:

"Sadly, the thousands of ordinary Europeans who set our for Palestine full of Christian fervor were the crusaders least likely to survive.  They were ignorant.  No way were they ready for what they'd face."

"The whole mess started with the People's Crusade, a ragtag part of the First Crusade that was led by an itinerant preacher from France, a monk called Peter the Hermit.  His followers walked into a Seljuk slaughter."

"The Children's Crusade of 1212 was the most pitiful.  About 50,000 poor kids, and some poor adults, too, walked from France and Germany, under the delusion that they could restore Palestine to Christian control yet again (this had been going on, back and forth, for over a hundred years already).  Most of the tots who made it as far as Italy's seaports succeeded only in sailing straight into the Muslim slave markets of North Africa and the Middle East.  Few were ever heard from again.  Some people say the story about the Pied Piper of Hamelin is based on the Children's Crusade."

"But well-armed nobles and skilled warriors went east too.  In 1189, the expeditionary force of the Third Crusade included King Richard I (Lionheart) of England, Emperor Frederick I (Barbarossa) of the Holy Roman Empire, and King Phillip II of France.  The emperor drowned crossing a stream."

Great?  Ha, ha... it puts a spin on things.  I love that concluding sentence - so sudden.  Joking... I'm not that sadistic.

Sorry Alwaysbored, I'm sure there were some spelling errors there from my fast typing.  I'd never spell something incorrectly because I didn't know it! =]

Isn't this awesome!?!?!  I looked at my toolbar and they added a polling option!  I'm going to use this a lot I think!  Cast your vote!  =]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha its okay. i forgive your spelling errors.
i do it a lot too.. teehee.
OMG SPELLBOWL STARTS TOMORROW!
yay. haha i recruited someone & im super happy about it.
considering we only have 4 people left from last year.. oops.
but um yeah hopefully we'll be better this year.
but i love how its just a social thing.
okay this has nothing to do w/ your post.. haha sorry.
umm yeah i liked this post even though im not really into history.. haha.
ummm i put no for the poll because um i dont want to die.
but im not saying i wouldnt die for my religion because i would, but idk.
yeah. you know?
haha okay im not making sense. bye!

Anonymous said...

No problem.  I don't mind.

And I completely agree on the Crusades thing.  You could your support your religion A LOT better if you still were alive.  Ya, I definitely see your view.

Anonymous said...

haha okay.
good to know im not completely insane.
haha