Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Day Off

I like two-hour delays so much more than cancellations.  If I'm going to have a day off, I like to know ahead of time, so I can plan what I want to do.  I just have OCD about that and vacuuming, which I did today.  When I sweep, I always make my lines straight (it really does look much nicer that way!)!

Today's been pretty slow.  I've played two games of Scrabble; I lost the first, but won the second.  I have neither homework to do, nor tests to study for.  Like I said before, my brother who for the record doesn't make straight vacuum-lines and I swept the whole house for the Merit Badge Workshop on Saturday.  I hadn't cleaned my room in three days, so I really needed it!  =)

During lunch, I watched "Ass Fat Jungle" from season two of Boston Legal, which is my least favorite episode of all the seasons, but Jon hadn't seen it yet. 

In it, a boy steals his parents' suburban at night and drives it through town, accidentally killing a man at an assisted living home.  The family reports the car stolen when the boy returns home, so there is no evidence he ever took part in the crime.  The only witness was a loveable, elderly woman with stage four Alzheimer's who is correct in believing she saw the defendant kill the man and drive away.

In order to save her client from prison time, Shirley is forced to get her hands dirty.  She visits the witness before the trial to look for any weaknesses they could exploit in court, and she discovers the aged woman had trouble remembering names.  At the trial the next day, Shirley is crossing the witness.  Between relative questions, she asks the woman repeatedly “What’s my name?” to show the jury that the woman’s memory couldn’t be trusted (even though the witness was correct in accusing the boy).  The elderly woman of course could never recall it.  The memory questions get more intense, and the witness becomes more and more distracted, eventually to tears, and is embarrassed before the whole court.  However, the trick pays off, and the defendant is found not guilty.  Shirley knows that as a lawyer, she has to play unfairly once in a while.  This doesn’t ease her conscious, though, as her own father is deeply sedated by Alzheimer’s, and her best friend is suffering from its beginning stages.

I can’t bear watching that episode, but I do once in a while just to remind myself how horrible it really is.  My worst fear is Alzheimer’s.  It’s the most terrible disease on the planet in my opinion – much worse than death I think.  =(

You probably aren't surprised to hear that the polls still aren't working.

BL Quote

Denny: Welcome, to Boston Legal.

Claire: Jeffrey, the gross man is fondling me.

Denny: It's the official firm greeting. [squeeze's Claire's butt] (how punny)  Cue the music!  [opening theme plays]

ABS

The Poetry Final is tomorrow if we meet!  This is your last chance to get any notes you might be missing!

No comments: