Sunday, March 2, 2008

Intervention Time

I've talked to some of the Literature members, and something happened to some of their notes from Thursday.  They had to leave early, the note-fairy stole them, or something.  So anywho, this is my intervention.

"Shiloh: A Requiem"

~ Masculine rhyme

~ Rhyme scheme: A B C B D D E E B F G H H I J I B K B

~ The whole poem is a huge allusion to the Battle of Shiloh.

~ Three examples of situational irony:

   - The soldiers were happy when it rained.

   - The fighting took place at a church.

   - The enemy soldiers became friends in their dyring moments.

"March to Virginia"

~ Masculine rhyme

~ Rhyme scheme: A B A B A C D C D E D E F G G H H I J J I D D K L M M M N N F O F O F O

~ Fatalism

~ Anti-war

~ Four examples of allusion:

   - Bacchic

   - Fate

   - Moloch

   - Manassas

~ "Belaureled" is an example of metonymy.

~ Turbid - confused

~ Abate - end

~ Prodigal - extravagantly wasteful

~ Contemn - look down on

~ Surmise - guesswork

~ Belaureled - crowned with achievement

~ Blithe - cheerful and carefree

No comments: